Here’s my progress so far on the African Violets. I’m actually doing quite good with keeping to this one project for the past week.
I thought that two skeins each of the variegated, eggplant, and the brown would be enough to make a lapghan. But it looks like I’ll have to go and get a a couple more, to get it that big. My original plan was to use only the yarn that was available, without having to go and buy more. The other colours – coral, pumpkin, orange, chili (red) – will have to be another project, since they don’t go with these colours in this pattern. If it had been a random granny square pattern, or even this same pattern made in random colours. But not like this, the way I’ve put it together now.
That’s how my mind works … it changes even during the project, away from what I planned in the beginning. I had also planned to border all the motifs in brown, but after the first one put together, it looked too dark for me.
Then I had the idea to make a bigger hexagon around the middle one, but with the dark borders on the individual hexagons, then you wouldn’t see the bigger hexagon.
My son had said to use purple again, for the borders, or maybe blue. But then I was so far into the assembly, I didn’t want to rip it apart at this stage … or maybe I could still … hmmmm …. I’m going to have to buy more skeins of the variegated and eggplant anyway, another skein of blue or purple wouldn’t hurt … We’ll see …
I also adjusted the pattern a bit. I was having a hard time figuring out that middle stitch to make the point/corner, so what I did was I just started making the point a row earlier. Now I know where the corners are, and I don’t have to keep counting.
I’m still thinking that it’s coming out a bit dark. Maybe the final product won’t look so dark … and maybe I should take photos in bright, natural sunlight, but I’m not home working on this during the day, so I take photos when I can.
I’ll keep going with this for now … I’m sure my brain will figure out something that it likes …