From the bag of donated yarn for my charity/cause, I came across this one big skein of beautiful colours. No brand name on the tag, just that it was !00% wool. It had nice texture – wavy and thick and thin. It dawned on me that maybe this would look better woven than knitted or crocheted. Excitedly, I warped the loom.
There was another ball purple cashmere-mixed yarn in the bag, and thought it would do well as the weft. As I wove, I asked the boys how it looked. Nice, they said, but it was kind of looking dark. Hmmm… so I went back digging into the bag and came up with a Cascade Superwash, in a lime green color and added that to the weft. And here’s the finished product. It’s about six feet long and nine inches wide.
No particular pattern on the weft. I just wound yarn onto the shuttle until I thought it was enough. The self-striping colors on the wool made up its own pattern – random stripes and random widths of colors. I was enjoying weaving with this yarn.
For the most part, the selvages stayed straight. But I think that because I was using two different weights of yarn on the weft, the tension was a little uneven, and there are sections that pulled down. There’s mistakes along the way – a missed warp thread here and there, uneven tension here and there … Certainly more practice needed but I’m happy with it.
On to the next project!