I got this beautiful silk-mix yarn a couple of years ago, from a destash group and started several projects and frogged it because I didn’t like the way it was turning out.
But after several froggings, the yarn was getting frayed and losing its luster. So I decided that I had to start a project, and stick with it to the end. Since summer was starting, I decided I should just make a blouse or top. Then I won’t have to spend to get a new top, and I use up yarn from the stash, right? 🙂
I decided on a top-down crochet top, with the idea of a block of squares for the pattern. I started with the basic circle, with increasing rounds. The pattern stitch is just a round of sc, then a row of 2dc, ch 1, 2dc, around. For the increase, I would ch2, instead of the ch 1.
And so I crocheted on, shaping the armholes, and then continuing the rounds for the body. But then, it started to balloon out … I must have added a stitch somewhere. Or maybe my tension changed … I wasn’t liking it …
And another round of frogging took place … 😦
A new issue of the Crochet magazine came out, with photos of summer tunics and tops. I decided to follow a tunic pattern, instead of trying to come up with one. I was a little concerned that I would run out of yarn – I had lost the labels for this yarn, and wouldn’t know where to get it. Besides, it might be discontinued by now too. But I went on, anyway.
I was liking the way this was turning out … no more frogging.
I shortened the length of the panels, eyeing the balls of yarn that I had left to work with.
With the two panels done, for the front and back, I only had 1 1/2 skeins of the yarn left for the sleeves. More guessing games on the length of the sleeves, to make sure that I had enough yarn for both 😮 That’s why the labels all say to buy enough yarn for your project, right?
And the finished product … apologies for not so good pics, but I was excited to wear it, so I took a selfie. Forgot that I could have asked somebody to take a pic of me, so maybe next time.
It didn’t turn out too bad. I had about a half ball of yarn left-over too!
The neckline is a bit too loose, so I’ll use that to tighten up and shape the neckline a bit. One sleeve edge is tighter than the other, but that should stretch out with use. The horizontal rows didn’t match front and back, because when I was joining the panels, one panel was coming out longer than the other, even though they both had the same number of rows. Don’t know why that was – maybe my tension changed again, or I was crocheting looser. So when I was joining the panels, I was ‘decreasing’ one side, so that the bottom edges would match. *sigh* More lessons learned.
All in all, I’m quite happy with it 🙂