Revived … African Violets 

I had already finished the African Violets, with one round only, which measured just about 5 feet across.  Not long or wide enough for a blanket, but just enough as a lapghan.

img_0697

 

But I was enjoying making these hexagons – even though they were a bit fiddly at times, so I set it aside.  And then I ran out of the watercolours yarn or the dark purple or dark orchid yarn and couldn’t get out to the craft store to get more, so it was set aside again.  You know how that goes 😉

But I knew that I wanted to add another round of hexagons, to make it bigger.


 

And so it would come out of the project bag every once in a while, when a bug would hit me and all I wanted to do was make the middle circles, sort of like mindless crochet … That usually happens when I wanted to work with yarn, but none of the current WIPs call, or I can’t settle down enough to work on a WIP.

I ended up with more middle circles than I needed, so I had to start on the petals.  But I haven’t unraveled the other middle circles … maybe I can use them again …

I thought the end was in sight … I had enough circles to make into small hexagons, which were then joined into bigger hexagons to make one big hexagon motif – makes sense?
And now this … Working late at night, my eyes tricked me, and instead of following the hexagon pattern around, I joined a big hexagon motif at the top and bottom …

So now, it’s more of a rectangle, instead of the flower motif …

The boys like it as a rectangle shape,  instead of the flower motif.  They said that the flower motif was not wide or big enough.  Maybe because of those odd corners around.  Even with this, Tin was asking why the ends were sticking out.

So it looks like I will continue with this shape.  I’ll just add single crochet rounds for the border, and it should even out the sides and top a little bit, right? *sigh*

This is another project that I don’t want to end.  At times I like this colour combination, specially when I see a picture of it.  Other times, I think that this colour combination is too dark.  Maybe I shouldn’t have used the dark brown to join the big motifs together, but that’s supposed to be branches, joining the flowers.  Anyway … I’m almost done with this, as soon as I crochet a border wide enough.  Next time, I’ll use brighter colours …

 

 

 

Advertisements

Finishing Off 2014

I thought I would write a post on whatever creative things I accomplished in the last year.  I know I didn’t make much this year, but it is good to gather everything together and see how much you’ve done.  Try it.  You’ll be surprised to see just how many things that you did get done in the last year.

Of course, I didn’t get to start on anything that was on my bucket list (except for the hexagon project).  So we’re trying for that again this year.

The staple … hats!  I finally figured out the slouchy look for the hats … These are actually variations of patterns that I tried to follow, and in the end, I just decided to wing it instead of following the pattern, because the hat wasn’t turning out what I expected it to be.

And more hats!  Here’s some of the ones made for my personal charity/cause – NYC Hats for Hope Initiative. As usual, there’s more which I didn’t take photos of.

I made my first amigurumi/toy – the minion.  I said I was going to make another one, this time with two eyes.  I still haven’t started on that.  Making amigurumis and toys still does not appeal to me … I have no problem with working on the individual parts … sewing and assembling them together kills me.  The hat wasn’t too bad.  That one has two eyes – although you can’t see it from this angle.

The other cause I work on – the Special Olympics Scarf Project.  Here’s some items that I made for some of the states.  Every year I say that I will make one item for each participating state.  Haven’t succeeded yet, but there’s always next year!

The shawls … wraps … scarves … my go-to projects.  My obsession pattern this year was the Augusta Shawl.  Here’s different versions of the pattern, using different yarn weights, etc.

Oh – another obsession pattern – the Bowtie Pi Shawl (available in Ravelry).  I plan on making more of these, with various yarns.

I couldn’t figure out why my shawl was coming out with a curved neckline, instead of a straight edge as shown in the photos with the pattern.  Then I remembered … Fibonacci.  Instead of following the same number of row repeats as the pattern, I had used the Fibonacci series for my row repeats instead.  So I think that’s why the neckline curved in so deep, like this.  I like it better like this, anyhow.  The shawl drapes better over the shoulders, than a straight edge.

And I was on a fringes roll as well.  I like fringes but I usually don’t add fringes because I think that they use up a lot of yarn … but then again, knitting or crocheting a piece takes up a lot of yarn too … and fringes do make a shawl or wrap look really pretty, doesn’t it?

My one big project this year – the African Violets Afghan, in memory of my aunt who passed away last year.  This is as far as I got with it, and it’s a good size lapghan.  I wanted to add another round, so that it can also be used as a bed cover.  So that’s something I’ll be working on some more this year.

IMG_7681

And there you have my accomplishments from the last year.  Nothing much, nothing spectacular.  I know that it’s more of the same from last year, but until I have another incentive to make amigurumis and toys, I’m afraid there’ll be more of this for the coming year.  Oh yes … I still want to make that hooded cape … and that beach coverup … I should start now … while it’s still freezing cold outside … then it’ll be ready for summer!