My first finished products of the year – capelets !
I have been wanting to make a hooded cape for the winter. I looked everywhere for the right pattern, and found it in the Long Hooded Cape, from Maggie Weldon. Then, it was to look for the right yarn. I had yarn in the stash, which I thought would be enough for the cape, but upon pulling it out, I wasn’t too sure about the colours again. It was variegated, and although with long colour changes, I wasn’t sure about how it would look when worked up. Since I couldn’t picture the finished product in my mind, I put it aside for the time being.
Looking through a magazine – the Crochet! Magazine 70+ Gifts in 1-2-3 – I came across a pattern for a cowl that looked easy enough and quick to work up. I had just bought Isaac Mizrahi’s yarn – the Carlyle in Astoria – a beautiful, soft black yarn, speckled with red and silver metallic thread. I thought the cowl would look good with that yarn. Of course, that was not the yarn called for in the pattern, but I kept the same stitch count – and came out with a cowl capelet instead.
And it did come out nice – after I had frogged it twice, because the first time, I kept increasing the stitches, and it was coming out lopsided, and the second time was because I ran out of yarn …
Charisse kindly modeled – hmmm… we forgot to take a picture with the neck a little loosened, so that it would drape down, like a cowl neck. Maybe next time.
I had wanted to make this a little wider too. On hindsight, I should have made it shorter, so that it could be wider – I had frogged it once already, anyhow, and starting over for a second time. But I didn’t think of that until almost the end, and I didn’t want to frog for a third time. I went back to Michael’s, specially to purchase more of the yarn … and they didn’t have any more on the shelf. They were just starting to restock, but I couldn’t wait there all day, and I couldn’t return again any time soon. So I went wandering up and down the aisles to have a look, and found Lion Brand’s Wool-Ease Thick and Quick, in Starlight.
So I purchased that instead, and started another capelet. Since this was super-bulky yarn, I started out with 15 less chains than the original pattern. It came out really nice and thick, and warm. I tested this by going out in below-freezing weather, wearing a thick sweater and this over the sweater. I was out only for short periods at a time, but it kept me warm – and without the hassle of a thick jacket or coat. Here’s Shree modeling the thick capelet. The neck part didn’t fall and drape soft enough for a cowl, but it was still doable. We folded it over instead, which gave it another look.
Both Shree and Charisse went home with the capelets – my belated Christmas gifts to them.
And I’m still left with making one for myself …