This year at the Vogue Knitting Live, I signed up for the class on the ‘Stashbuster Scarf’ woven on the rigid heddle loom.
I had already bought the loom two years ago, assembled it, and wove swatches. But there was still something missing, so this time I decide that it was time I learnt it the ‘proper’ way. Watching YouTube videos and following instructions on paper are all great, but I was still missing something and couldn’t get quick answers from videos and forums. So off to class I went.
The class was taught by Deborah Jarchow, and she went over the basics of weaving and setting up the loom. I ended up with an Ashford loom – I should have picked up the Cricket loom, which I have at home, but no matter. After going through the yarn I had brought with me, we decided to work with the Lion Brand Microspun yarn for the warp and SWTC Bamboo for the weft.
I had picked those up at the last minute, after realizing that I might mess up bad and I didn’t want to waste the merino-silk that I had originally planned on bringing. I was of two minds actually about this yarn – I wanted a worsted weight yarn, but I couldn’t find any that went well together. This was a bit thin, and I already knew that working with this would take some time to finish the scarf.
Anyway, we proceeded to set up the warp …
It wasn’t looking so bad, once we got going. I was picking up tips and tricks during those ‘teachable moments’, and kept getting up to go over to the other table to watch how to fix a loop at the edge, how to attach new yarn at the weft, how to fix a skipped warp, not to pack it in so tight, unless I wanted a stiff scarf, etc.
Then, my OCD kicked in … it was getting a bit boring just using that one yarn as the weft. What if I started adding the same yarn as on the warp? So I picked up a solid – the purple – and wove that in. That’s the dark block there on the scarf … Certainly a different effect.
In the end, I didn’t finish the scarf and time was up. It was only half the length done. I took it off the loom and when I got home, I set it up again on the loom. Deborah did say that I couldn’t work on it again, once taken off the loom. But it was a practice scarf, anyway, so I set it up. Well, for one thing, the tension wasn’t the same. You can see that from the crooked lines. I also lost the rhythm of the spacing on the weft – maybe because the tension was different too … and it was already late in the night.
Anyway, that’s my Happy Scarf – named by fellow weavers in the class because of the colours. I’ve water-blocked it, and I just need to clean up the ends. Now all I need to do is work some more on the loom, and I should have a decent-looking scarf to actually use …